Tuesday, December 06, 2005

day 14

"The Minnow" ARC 2005 Atlantic Crossing

Mike's Exciting Day 14 Update!

Serge woke me up about 7:15 this morning. It was pitch black. I never know
for sure when Serge is waking me if it's a joke or I'm really supposed to
get up. This time he told me they wanted help raising Whomper. This didn't
help his believability since they rarely let me help with a sail.

But I got up anyway. Slowly. If they did want me to help hoist the giant
sail I wanted to be careful not to strain something. I stretched a bit as I
was coming up the stairs. Then I ambled over to the fridge and grabbed a
cold Coke. Then I stretched some more. That was enough. I went outside ready
to tangle with Whomper. All I got to do was watch and press a button for a
couple of seconds.

At least we are sailing today. I think the current moved us more than the
wind yesterday. With plenty of water now, and light winds with no ocean
spray, we have all been washing some clothes. A lot of the clothes we hang
on the lifelines. At night they get wetter instead of dryer out there. A few
evenings ago I hung a rope under the porch cover for drying clothes when
it's raining and at night.

Clothes are drying reasonably quickly now . I'd say 4-8 hours on average.
For light things like nylon shorts maybe 2-4 hours. Which brings up and
interesting situation. Bob has had a pair of nylon shorts hanging wet from
the same spot in the center of the cockpit for two days now.

Clothes on the line beside the shorts come and go, but the shorts remain
wet. Even fully soaked towels are drying with no problem. Bob checks them
often. He keeps looking for a cause. Water leaks? Condensation dripping on
them? Water dripping from the sail? He even tastes them for salt. But they
remain wet while all the clothes around them dry, time after time.

Now that's unusual. Probably it has something to do with Serge and I wetting
them with a damp towel throughout the day. And dripping water on them
occasionally. And fully soaking them when he's asleep. It takes a lot of
continual effort to keep those shorts wet. But it's worth it to watch Bob
scratch his head each time he checks them.

Fishing Report:

We caught another 10-pound or so dolphin. We also caught a tarpon or
barracuda, we're not sure which. We let the unknown fish go. We ate the
dolphin.

Today's Nautical Term:

Chafe vb : to rub so as to wear away.

If the ropes are not rigged and set right, the constant motion of the boat
with cause them to "chafe" and wear through. We have to keep a constant look
out for anything chafing on a boat.

Arts and Entertainment:

Today was "break out the sousaphones" day. Bob and I played "In the Mood"
about 100 times trying to memorize it. I should have my part memorized in
about 400 more times.

No comments: