Monday, July 16, 2007

Racing With Dummies! (Transpac Edition, Day 4)

by Mike

It seemed like the wind would have shifted some over night. But it didn't and we were still headed due south. The next land we were
going to hit was Antarctica if we didn't turn.

The morning position reports showed that we were farther east than any other boats in the race so far. In other words, I think that
put us in last place. After much deliberation and the eating of some junk food we decided to turn right.

Spinnaker-Jibing with Bob:
Some things in sailing are simple. And there are a few things that take two people. Take spinnaker-jibing for example. There is a
point during the process that one person has to pull on a rope while, at the same time, another person let's out on another rope.

Today we were getting things ready for the jibe. First we worked out who was the rope puller and who was the rope letter-outer. Then
we spent a long time to get the ropes sorted out.

Then it went something like this:
Mike said "let me center the main."
Bob asked "start pulling now?"
Mike said "no."
Bob started pulling like crazy.
The spinnaker commenced collapsing.
Mike, kind of calmly, said "wait."
Bob said "I thought you said "go.""
Mike said "oh no, I said "no.""
Bob let the rope back out and the spinnaker puffed back out.
Then we started over.

Eventually we completed the jibe and then spent some time trying to adjust the ropes so we could go fast and the spinnaker would not
collapse. By then it was time for a nap. After eating some more, that is.

Daily Cuisine:
I skipped breakfast today. Except for the Cocoa Krispies. And the apple. But no eggs. Unless you count deviled eggs. But no fried
eggs.

After the spinnaker jibing I was famished so I fried a couple of burgers. Nothing like fried food to hit the spot. And nothing like
fried food to get prepared for a nap.

Later a happy birthday cake was baked (nobody's birthday, it just sounded good). Jambalaya was the final fare of the day. Way too
much of it. Mmmm.

Fishing report:
Day 4 = no fish yet. I'm beginning to wonder about the reliability of people that claim to catch fish on the way to Hawaii.

Arts and Entertainment:
Tomb Raider II was better than Tomb Raider I.

In the reading department, Kurt Austin got the girl, killed the bad guy, and overcame several crises in Clive Cussler's The
Navigator. I hope I didn't spoil the book for anyone.

Some of Clive's newer books seem to have lost their bite and are not as compelling as I remember the earlier ones being. I wonder if
(1) he's getting older and mellower, (2) other people are doing more of the work, (3) he's trying too hard to be politically
correct, or (4) I'm stupid and nothing is different.

However, in Clive's favor (not like he needs my support), I really like his new "Oregon files" series.

Next a real sailing book by a real sailor, a 65 year-old that circled the earth alone (and fast) a few decades ago.

No comments: