Thursday, July 19, 2007

Racing With Dummies! (Transpac Edition, Day 7)

by Mike

This morning I got up and there was nothing that needing doing. We were going in a mostly straight line, and mostly the direction we
wanted to go. It was still dark, and kind of chilly. So I plugged in "The Rainmaker" and baked some hot biscuits. Four large hot
biscuits slathered with lots of butter and jelly can really fill a person up. It made it a bit challenging to stay awake.

Around 7:15 I paused the movie and called our boat position in. Then I relaxed in peace until the movie was over (keeping an
occasional eye on the spinnaker).

It was still cool inside after the movie so I started playing the piano. Playing the piano must be hard work for me, because it
always makes me hot. I'm working my way through a Beethoven piano sonata book. Yesterday I played two of them. This morning I played
two more of them and then went outside to cool off.

Crisis on the Minnow:
Bob's toilet started acting up couple of days ago. For nearly 24 hours we shared a toilet. It was disgusting! Today he decided to
find and fix the problem. He spent about 30 minutes working on it and better than an hour cleaning (if you count the mega-shower). I
spent a lot of that time outside.

Thank goodness the crisis is over now. We are not sharing a toilet anymore.

Daily Cuisine:
For lunch I microwaved two frozen burritos, a spicy and a normal. I prefer the spicy one, although it was kind of hard to tell the
difference in the middle of all the salsa. For supper I made a tall bologna sandwich.

We are running low on cake again. And the packages of cookies are beginning to dwindle. But we appear to have enough canned veggies
for approximately four years.

Fishing report:
Has anyone ever fished for seven (7) straight days without a single bite? Anyone? I didn't think so.

Arts and Entertainment:
Rainmaker is a good movie. It is a good book, too. John Grisham is a heck of a story teller. Whether I liked the subject matter or
not, every one of his books kept my attention. They are not very deep, but they are fun to read. And since they are good stories,
they normally make good movies.

I finished three sonatas today. Five down and 13 to go. When Bob's asleep I wear headphones (it's a lot more spacey and comfortable
on the Minnow when he's tucked away downstairs – so I try to keep it that way as much as possible). But, when he's awake, I punish
him.

Movie watching was in vogue today. In the afternoon, Bob and I watched "National Lampoon's Black Ball." It had a few funny parts but
I think we both did more reading than watching. In the evening, Bob and I watched (or attempted to watch) "Sleeping with the Enemy."
It required a lot of fast forwarding. It's only about a 30 minute movie that way which was a little too long.

I started John Jourdane's "Sailing with Scoundrel's and Kings" today. It has lots of entertaining stories, which I am enjoying.

No comments: