Monday, May 18, 2009

May 17, 2009, Half Moon Bay to Monterey, by Bob

I took off from Half Moon Bay and had almost no wind and few waves until I got close to Monterey. Then the fog came in and the wind started blowing from 20-30 knots.

I noticed one sailboat coming from the sheltered harbor into the wind. They somehow lost the rope that holds the back end of the jib (the jib sheet), and the job was blowing out in front of the boat.

I came into the Monterey Marina, a tight fit for my driving ability, and tied up to the dock with no mishaps. I met Jack Van Valkenburgh there. We were talking to each other on the cell phone, each trying to figure out where the other was ("do you see this?"), and were were only 50 yards apart the whole time.

Jack took me by his FBO, the Monterey Jet Center. It is REALLY nice. Then he took me on a scenic motor tour around the area, and by his new house (which is also REALLY nice). He and Amy fed me a nice meal and came by to see the boat.

No comments: