Sunday, June 14, 2009

Long Beach to Cost Rica

Sailing with Dummies (California to Texas, Day 5)

Saturday, June 13, 2009

by Mike

We continued sailing directly downwind today. The wind has picked up and we are going faster now. With several days of consistent wind, the waves have turned into a fairly large swell from behind. It gives the boat a little more motion, but it’s still a good ride.

The water temperature has started rising. From 67 in Long Beach to mid 70s. It should to go up to the mid 80s sometime in the next few days. On the ocean, the air temperature normally reflects the water temperature. That means it’s going to get hot soon. It’ll feel great for a couple of days. Then I’ll have to start griping about it.

Fishing Report:

Got to yell “fish on!” a few times, including one that was on the hook for 10 minutes but broke the line, but nothing boated.

 

Fine Arts:

Lots of piano and guitar with headphones. Nothing to write home about. Is this considered writing home?

 

Fine Dining:

Today I attempted to make bread in the breadmaker. Twice. Three hours later there was some of what my Mom would call “hard tack.” There was also some dry flour. The entire loaf – uh, finished mess, it didn’t merit the name loaf – was less than an inch tall. Not enough water (I thought I remembered the amounts).

The second time I read the directions and painstakingly measured the ingredients. Then I started the three-hour process. About 30 minutes later I noticed the stirring paddle in the sink. Blah.  I put the paddle in and restarted the machine. The loaf, yes it could be considered a loaf, ended up concave on the top, but edible. The ¾” crust is kind of hard on the teeth. Would be good for teething, though. Amy, are you reading this?


No comments: