Sunday, May 06, 2007

Here we are!

by Melinda

On our way to Cuba if we're not careful. Today is the first official sailing/motoring day for me on board the Minnow. I haven't
gotten sea-sick but one of the apples that Mike bought made my stomach feel a little woozy. The winds have been between 15 and 25
knots so we're cruising (and we have the motor on too).

There are loads of differences of staying on this boat and the Robert C. Seamans. Here's a list of a few:

- (On the Minnow) I showered today. I showered yesterday. I even showered the day before that! On the Seamans, we were allowed one
fresh-water shower every 3 days. It's not as bad as it sounds but it does make this trip seem very luxurious.

- There are buttons and gadgets that will do much of the work for you on the Minnow. I only cranked the winch a few times today and
took the Mexican flag down. But, you have to know when to press what buttons at what times. No comment on that.

- I have an entire room to myself... better yet, I have the entire port side of the Minnow to myself! On the Seamans, I had a
bunkbed and a couple of drawers.

- There is no official chef in the Minnow's galley... so we just graze and eat a lot of turkey sandwhiches. We had meals 3 times a
day and snacks an addition 3 times each day every day on the Seamans. I've had about 6 meals today.

- We have tubas on board. Seamans had bongos.

- The Minnow has two helms, both facing forward. The Seamans had on the quarter deck facing aft. That means I can get an even tan on
board the Minnow.

Okay duty calls, I better go eat and look for aliens tonight.

No comments: