Friday, July 11, 2008

Day 28 (Thursday, July 10, 2008) by Mike

Sailing with Dummies (Hawaii to Alaska Edition)

Today we stopped at Alaid Island, which is connected by a sand bar to Nizki Island. The sand bar between the islands is 20-30 yards wide and maybe 250 yards long. We kayaked and dingied to the islands and did some exploring. Not much to see but it was nice to take a walk.

Next to these islands is Shemya Island. We have an Air Force base at Shemya. We tried to call them on the radio when we sailed by to ask if we could visit the island. They didn’t answer.

Temperature report:

It was warmer today! I hope that trend continues.

Bedroom: 50 degrees

Upstairs: 57 degrees

Outside: 46 degrees

Daily Cuisine:

I was hungry (and cold) this morning so I cooked fried eggs, toast, and grits.

Fishing Report:

None.

Arts and Entertainment:

I finished a book, Journey, by James Michener. It tells of people braving the Arctic cold in the middle of the winter with temperatures in the -40 to -50 range. That sure makes my whining about being cold in +50 degrees seem petty. But I’ll still whine … it’s cold!

No comments: